Wednesday, July 14, 2010

All Dressed Up and No Place to Go



I did a little bit of organizing in my closet today and managed to stumble across one of my dresses that got me back into sewing. The black dress was made my junior year of college, so only 3 years ago. Yikes, it’s been that long? Doesn't seem like it's been 3 years...



I made the dress for formal recruitment at my college, I was part of a sorority and we needed to have black dresses. Mind you, the year before we had to have RED dresses, which I still have, but our Headquarters changed what color all chapters had to have. Ever so kind of them... I spent the whole summer trying to find a black, strapless dress, that fit me well. Oh, and the dress had to be knee length. I came up empty handed for 2 months, so I gave up searching and went to JoAnns for a pattern and some fabric.


Aside from some minor holes due to sewing over misplaced fabric I love how this turned out! I added the black ribbon in the middle to cover the awkward seam that appeared. It was also my first time using boning, that was a very interesting experience. What I used was some type of plastic boning that JoAnns no longer sells.

I’ve worn this dress twice, yes twice. It’s too nice of a dress to wear to church or anywhere casually. I’d love to find someplace to where this to in order to get some more wear out of it, that probably won’t happen anytime soon, but at least I know I have a killer dress resting in the back of my closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment