Saturday, April 16, 2011

I'm Tickled Pink

I have had my hands on this pink fabric for quite some time. I found it on clearance (surprise, surprise) at JoAnns and my first thought was a top for it. As with most of the fabric I've picked up over time, it took a while to turn this fabric into a garment. Here it is as Burda's JJ pattern.

I left out the ruffles because I didn't have enough fabric for them. And I really don't care for them. I had to recut this pattern three times. I was not happy. I measured myself, determined what size I was and cut everything out. Not thinking I'd have a problem, I was not pleased to find out how much extra space I had left the first time I tried it on. So, I cut everything down a pattern size. After all, by my measurements told me I should have fit nicely into a size 38.

I basted the fabric together to check when I sewed the size 36 together. Trying it on, it was still too large. I was starting to feel like Goldilocks, except the pattern wasn't coming up too small! I then cut everything to a size 34, which originally I had thought I was going to need based on past experience with Burda patterns. That finally yielded this. The blouse is a bit loose over my abdomen, but I'm not complaining.
Once I got the fabric cut to the right size sewing this blouse wasn't too much of a problem. The instructions weren't all that helpful, especially with the sleeves. So, I ignored that and went along my way, hoping that I didn't mess them up too badly. They didn't come out too badly, if I do say so myself.

Prior to this top, I had only done button holes once. And that was on another piece that is currently unfinished and sitting in another state. Once I got the hang of how to do the holes, I was set. It was a little bit of trial and error. Thankfully nothing too disastrous happened.

With the buttons added and the top hemmed, this sucker is complete. It's the first blouse I've made that hasn't presented a problem with the fit. I'm very happy with the pattern, after I figured out how to go about it.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Another Stash Buster

This sucker is another variation of Butterick B5497. I told you this pattern was easy! Hence the multiple variations coming from it. This top is out of the same fabric as my one wrap dress and in the same style as another shirt. It’s stretchy fabric with small light green blobs on it. I’ve spent plenty of time debating what these “blobs” are and I can’t decide on anything that makes sense.

I only have one regret with this top: that I did it in four pieces. I think it would have looked better as two pieces without the seam under the bust. I can’t do anything about that now and this does NOT look good as a crop top.

This is yet another stash buster I did over my spring break. I only have a tiny bit more left of this fabric, I’m thinking of attempting to do some underwear this what I have left over. That’s just about all I could make with such a small amount.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fancy Green

I’m all ready three weeks into my Spring quarter. Where is the time going? There are still items from over spring break that I need to share! Here’s one of them.

This shirt is straight from Butterick B5497. It’s view A, and coincidentally the same color as on the pattern envelope. The pattern wasn’t hard at all, once I figured out what I was doing. Although, this was one of my unfinished projects due to issues with the “v” in the front and back. I managed to fix the front, thankfully. I really wish I had a dress form, it would have made making this top slightly easier. Hear that Easter Bunny? You can leave one of those in my Easter basket!

The back.... Eh.... That wasn’t so lucky. The first fitting the back was very loose and I unpicked everything to overlap the layers of fabric a bit more. It’s wearable. And aside from the back covering more than I thought it would I’m happy with this. I figure I should have sewn the pattern a size smaller as it’s a bit too loose without the elastic.

I figure I don’t see the back, therefore all is good! I quite like this pattern as I’ve used it in a few other tops. I really want to make the long sleeve view C, but I don’t have enough fabric.

I'm trying very hard not to buy any more fabric until I have gone through the pile I brought down to Georgia with me. I've been chipping away at it for the past month, especially since I don't have nearly as much reading to do this quarter as the previous one.

I do have about quarter to half a yard of this fabric left over. We’ll see what I end up making with that. Another top might be possible if I modify the pattern or I'm sure I could figure out something else that's small. Oh the things I can make...