Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I think, therefore I can still do homework...

Yet again, I have not fallen off the face of the Earth. Still here... Kinda... sorta... yeah...

I started graduate school for Architectural History in September and we’re in quarters down here in this lovely southern school. Meaning that I have 5 more days of classes scattered over this week and next. Okay, 5 1/2 counting today, I’m certainty not. With these last two weeks I’ve been swamped with school work. I had a half hour presentation on Monday, a much shorter one today, another short one coming up on Tuesday, a 15 page killer research paper, a final in one of my classes on Monday, and an all out evil project for another class.

I’ve been slaving over my 15 page paper. I haven’t done a research paper in oh, hm... 4 years. Not since sophomore year of college and that was on Harry Potter! In my defense, it was a Harry Potter class... Needless to say, I’m rusty. And to top off the cake, I’m doing in in Chicago formatting, with footnotes. I’ve never done either. I’ve done MLA and dappled with APA, but I had never touched Chicago formatting before, ever. This paper is just a wee bit daunting, and it’s due on a week from today. My lovely paper is on Egyptian funerary architecture, particularly the evolution of the pyramids. And on a good note I have 9.5 pages; only 4.5 to go.


Why am I not working on it now? Well, I had been but I’m actually at school and don’t have some of my notes with me or books. The books are heavy and I walk to class (a 2 mile, 40 minute walk). I’m a bit disgruntled I forgot my notes, but I was working on it before. I just keep getting bored and distracted since I have the internet and a lack of material to draw from.

In my defense, I have 2.5 more pages since I’ve been typing today. HA! That’s a lot more productive than I’ve been in the past week I’ve been working on it. Seriously, I spit out 2 pages in half an hour. It took me an 8 hour day to write the first 5 pages. Part of the progression is due to the presentation I gave on Monday. It was on my topic, and insanely helpful, even if I nearly hurled at the end. Apparently my stomach decided that it was a good idea for me to stop or else it would revolt all over the computer I was standing behind.

That’s what I’ve been doing since I posted last. I spent some time yesterday sewing, started a new quilt from scraps, that won’t be done for a good long time unless I miraculously finish this paper and get it proofed and perfect within the next 24 hours (hahahaha... not happening). I should get back to trying to add material to my paper. It’s going to be a birch to proofread, oh well, there is alcohol at the end of the tunnel...

No comments:

Post a Comment